Board Serve Program
Through Board Serve Central Oklahoma, United Way of Central Oklahoma is dedicated to improve nonprofit boards by recruiting, training, and matching board members with nonprofit agencies in the central Oklahoma Area.
Expert-led sessions will cover nonprofit board governance, leadership skills, nonprofit law, fundraising, and many more skills needed to serve on a nonprofit board. Board Serve Central Oklahoma will match the trained business professional and the nonprofit agency to help strengthen the nonprofit organizations within our community.
*United Way celebrates the fourth Board Serve Graduating Class with a reception followed by a ceremony honoring the 2017 graduates where each graduate is partnered with a nonprofit agency.
"The United Way board service development program provided me with invaluable board training that has proven to last throughout my career. The decision to complete the training offered by the program, enabled me to be a contributing board member from my first day of service as a director. At the end of the day it is about being of the best service to people; the program provided me with outstanding tools and best practices to effectively achieve that goal.” -Reggie Johnson, UMB Bank
BOARD SERVE CLASS IV
The next Board Serve Central Oklahoma class will begin Feb. 2019.
For Interested Individuals
Nonprofit board service is a rewarding experience. By serving on the board of a nonprofit organization, you will:
- Connect with others who share your passion
- Contribute your skills, expertise and access to resources to strengthen nonprofit organizations in central Oklahoma
- Support and strengthen the community in which you live or work
- Rally support and invite others to join you in advocating on behalf of the nonprofit’s mission
- Develop new skills and hone your leadership abilities
- Expand your social and professional networks
Who is Eligible?
We are looking for diverse individuals who are interested in becoming nonprofit board members. Individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Diversity in life experience, age, ethnicity, geographic location, and profession, including expertise in any of the following fields: accounting, human resources, law, information technology, management/operations, marketing, public relations, fundraising, strategic planning and others. A minimum of three years of work experience in the area of expertise is preferred.
- Interest in, and enthusiasm for board service and volunteerism
- Willingness to undertake a three-hour training session each month for eight months on the duties and responsibilities of board members, including fundraising and financial oversight
- Board Serve Central Oklahoma Program will meet in February through August from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Graduation and agency matching will be in September.
- No fee for program; however, participants are expected to attend all training sessions.
- Active engagement in training sessions.
- Graduates are expected to accept a placement on a Nonprofit Board for at least one year.
- No application fee and no cost for the program, but attendance is required to complete the program. Application will be available Nov. 2018. The deadline will be Jan. 2019.
- Two reference letters are required along with a bio and picture.
- Selection is based on the completed application and supplemental documents; interviews may be requested.
Individualized Board Matching Services are provided to United Way of Central Oklahoma Board Serve Central Oklahoma graduates for placements on a nonprofit Board of Directors.
For more information, please contact:
VP, Human Resources & Volunteer Program
ltharp [at] unitedwayokc [dot] org