Serving the Community Through Leadership
Through Board Serve Central Oklahoma, United Way of Central Oklahoma is dedicated to improving nonprofit boards by recruiting, training, and matching board members with nonprofit agencies in the central Oklahoma Area.
Expert-led sessions will cover nonprofit board governance, leadership skills, nonprofit law, fundraising, and many more skills needed to serve on a nonprofit board. Board Serve Central Oklahoma will match the trained business professional and the nonprofit agency to help strengthen the nonprofit organizations within our community.
For Interested Individuals
Nonprofit board service is a rewarding experience. By serving on the board of a nonprofit organization, you will:
- Connect with others who share your passion
- Contribute your skills, expertise and access to resources to strengthen nonprofit organizations in central Oklahoma
- Support and strengthen the community in which you live or work
- Rally support and invite others to join you in advocating on behalf of the nonprofit’s mission
- Develop new skills and hone your leadership abilities
- Expand your social and professional networks
Who is Eligible?
We are looking for diverse individuals who are interested in becoming nonprofit board members. Individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Diversity in life experience, age, ethnicity, geographic location, and profession, including expertise in any of the following fields: accounting, human resources, law, information technology, management/operations, marketing, public relations, fundraising, strategic planning and others. A minimum of three years of work experience in the area of expertise is preferred.
- Interest in, and enthusiasm for board service and volunteerism.
- Willingness to participate in monthly, three-hour training sessions from February through August.
- Attendance and active engagement is required at seven monthly sessions, 5:30-8:30 p.m., February through August 2021, at United Way of Central Oklahoma, and a graduation ceremony in September 2021.
- Board Serve graduates are expected to accept placement on a United Way of Central Oklahoma Partner Agency board for at least one year.
- If accepted, a one-time, non-refundable program fee of $350 is required for each participant.
Board Serve 2021 Class Schedule
February 16: Orientation
March 16: Board Governance
April 13: Marketing & Crisis Public Relations
May 18: Resource Development
June 15: Nonprofit Financials & Strategic Planning
July 13: CEO & Board Panel
August 17: Nonprofit Law & Ethics
September 14: Graduation
- Download and complete the application form, and include two reference letters, a personal biography and headshot with application.
- Submit all application materials by Nov. 2, 2020 to:
Attn: Board Serve, United Way of Central Oklahoma, 1444 NW 28th St., Oklahoma City, OK 73106
- Selection is based on the completed application and supplemental documents.
- Interviews may be requested.
- Applicants will be notified of selection by Jan. 1, 2021.
For more information, please contact: