Grab a Friend & Join Us at United Way's Campaign Kickoff Pancake Breakfast on Sept. 5!
Pancake Breakfast, 2014 Campaign Goal Reveal, and Movie Night
United Way of Central Oklahoma kicks off the annual 2014 United Way Campaign at 7:30 a.m. on Friday, September 5, 2014 with the annual pancake breakfast and family movie night on the baseball field at 7:30 p.m., at the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
The Kickoff celebration event marks the official beginning of the 2014 United Way of Central Oklahoma, the Central Oklahoma Combined Federal Campaign, the Statewide Charitable Campaign, and the Heart of the City Campaigns.
This year’s tropical themed United Way campaign uses island wear and “A Life Saver for the Community” slogan inviting attendees to give back to the community through monetary support via their United Way workplace campaigns and the contribution of their time and effort by volunteering for community projects.
The Kickoff celebration will include special guests: United Way’s Celebrity Chefs, this year’s pancake flipping contestants, and The 2014 United Way Loaned Executive Class.
The United Way Celebrity Chefs volunteer to cook the complimentary pancakes for attending guests, demonstrating their support of the annual campaign. This year’s Celebrity Chefs preparing the pancake breakfast Include: Oklahoma City Police Chief Bill Citty, Michael Ming from GE Global Research Oil & Gas Technology Center, Michelle Coppedge from Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center, Rob Neu, Superintendent of Oklahoma City Public Schools, Assistant City Manager of Oklahoma City M. T. Berry, who is the Heart of the City Campaign Chair, and many more.
United Way’s pancake flipping contestants don’t take the competition lightly! This year’s contestants include: Chief Bill Citty of the Oklahoma City Police Department, Chief Brian Stanaland of the Oklahoma City Fire Department, Colonel Lea Kirkwood, Vice Commander of the 72nd Air Base Wing, Air Force Sustainment Center, Tinker Air Force Base, Superintendent Rob Neu of the Oklahoma City Public Schools, Alex Cameron from News 9, and Ruby the RedHawk. The winner will receive the coveted United Way Golden Spatula Award wall plaque.
Essential to the success of the Campaign, United Way’s Loaned Executives are employees borrowed from other companies, the federal government, and the city government for 12 weeks to work at United Way on the fundraising campaign for the Combined Federal Campaign, the State Charitable Campaign, the Heart of the City Campaign and the United Way of Central Oklahoma campaign. Because they continue to be paid by their regular employer, they help keep administrative costs down allowing donor contributions to go directly to the needs of our community.
SOMETHING NEW! Attendees will also be invited to “stay in-the-loop” on the latest United Way community updates through a new Text messaging option and a downloadable United Way of Central Oklahoma App for their mobile devices.
The Campaign Kickoff festivities continue that evening with a free screening of the movie, “Rio 2” at 7:30 p.m. and complimentary snacks. Guests are encouraged to bring a blanket to sit on the baseball field and enjoy this family-friendly feature. Both events are open to the public.
“Every year, thousands of generous donors respond to the needs of our community through their support of this fundraising effort,” said Debby Hampton, President and CEO, United Way of Central Oklahoma. “These two kickoff events are a chance for us to invite the public to support the annual United Way Campaign and thank those who make it possible.”
The community campaign runs September 5 through November 14. Last year, donors contributed $22 million to help our community LIVE UNITED and advance the common good. To make a contribution, visit www.unitedwayokc.org, download the United Way of Central Oklahoma App or call 405-236-GIVE.
About United Way
United Way of Central Oklahoma researches human needs within the communities of central Oklahoma and directs resources to accountable health and human services agencies to meet those needs by improving the health, safety, education and economic well-being of its most vulnerable citizens. For more information about United Way of Central Oklahoma, please visit www.unitedwayokc.org or call (405) 236-8441.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS – 2014 United Way Campaign Kickoff – Friday, September 5
7:30 a.m. Campaign Kickoff Breakfast:
- United Way’s Celebrity Chefs will flip complimentary pancakes and celebrate the 2014 goal announcement:
8:00 a.m. Campaign Kickoff Program Begins
- Boy Scouts of America Cub Scouts Pack 55 from the Last Frontier Council will present our national colors and lead us in the Pledge of Allegiance followed by the National Anthem played by the members of the University of Central Oklahoma “Stampede of Sound.”
- United Way Board Chair David Thompson will welcome attendees and begin the program.
Pancake Flipping Contest – contestants include:
- Chief Bill Citty, Oklahoma City Police Department
- Chief Brian Stanaland, Oklahoma City Fire Department
- Colonel Lea Kirkwood, Vice Commander of the 72nd Air Base Wing, Air Force Sustainment Center, Tinker Air Force Base
- Superintendent Rob Neu, Oklahoma City Public Schools
- Alex Cameron, News 9
- Ruby the Redhawk
8:20 a.m. 2014 Campaign Chair Carl Edwards will introduce the following:
- Brad Krieger introduces the 2014 United Way Loaned Executive Class
- United Way Pacesetter Chair David Rainbolt, BancFirst CEO, who will announce funds raised during the 2014 Pacesetter Campaign
- Heart of the City Campaign Chair M.T. Berry, Assistant City Manager, City of Oklahoma City, who will announce the 2014 HOTC goal
- Combined Federal Campaign Chair Bob Kendrick, Training Manager, US Postal Service, who will announce the 2014 CFC goal
- 2014 Campaign Chair Carl Edwards will announce the State Charitable Campaign goal on behalf of Secretary of State Chris Benge, Chair of the State Charitable Campaign
8:40 a.m. United Way of Central Oklahoma Goal Reveal: United Way 2014 Campaign Chair Carl Edwards will announce the 2014 United Way Campaign Goal
8:45 a.m. Morning program concludes with Debby Hampton, United Way of Central Oklahoma President & CEO
Family Movie Night
7:00 p.m. – Family Movie Night – Gates Open
- Attendees are invited to bring blankets and sit on the field;
- Bottled water and light snacks will be provided
- Lawn chairs, outside food and beverages and alcohol are prohibited
7:30 p.m. The movie “Rio 2” begins
10:00 p.m. Evening Concludes